[Callers] weird contra dances

Janet Levatin jlevatin at massmed.org
Tue Dec 11 14:10:39 PST 2007

Here is a dance I wrote that is a little weird. It has been danced at
least three times, and was moderately successful. The dancers needed
some help with the walk through. Please let me know if you are able to
use it and if it is indeed weird enough for you.
Janet Levatin

California Twirlin' by Janet Levatin  3/2007
	Duple improper

A1:  Balance the ring
	Partner California Twirl and face back in
	Balance the ring
	Neighbor California Twirl and face back in

A2:  Balance the ring
	Partner California Twirl and face new neighbors
	This new neighbor swing

B1:  Circle left 3/4
	Partner swing

B2:  Ladies chain with courtesy turn
	Long lines forward and on the way back…
	Neighbor roll away with half sashay: women rolling left

Double progression variation:
B2: omit roll away, start dance with next neighbors

The thing that is weird about this dance is that you face back in to
your current group of four after the first two California twirls
instead of facing away as you usually do after a California twirl. As a
teaching point, you can tell the dancers to use their joined hands to
generate a bit of leverage to propel each other back in towards their
group of four. Some dancers will want to add a full circle twirl as a
flourish. The impetus for this can be generated by using those joined
hands to propel each other.