[Callers] More hey thoughts

Jack Mitchell jamitch3 at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 6 06:13:42 PST 2006

I think that this is a great way to split up the different parts of
teaching a hey, but don't forget about the second part.
(1st -- weaving, 2nd -- getting turned around and coming back in)

The main thing that people seem to have trouble with on the hey is
the loop out on the end and coming back in 1) on time and 2) not
early (and running into someone) and 3) passing the correct shoulder.

If I've got huge numbers of beginners, one thing that I have used
that works well (takes more time than you're generally going to want
to take if most of the group is experienced) -- also great for the
beginners session -- is:

[On the side of the set with your partner]

1) Men stay still; women pass right in the center, pass the man by
the left on the outside (and walk around him to) pass women in the
center, pass the man by the left on the outside.  Go Home.

then

2)  Women stay still; men pass right in the center, pass lady by the
left (and walk around her to) pass man by right in the center, pass
lady by the left on the outside and go home (have to fudge it a
little here, because the men will end up on the wrong side)

then

3) Tell them that this is the movement they're doing for a Hey --
just all at the same time.  Women lead by passing right in the
center.  As soon as they pas the men by the left on the outside, the
men start.  Don't forget to do the loops around as if those men or
women were standing there on the outside!

Jack