[Callers] spiking the 'booking ahead'

Chris Weiler chris.weiler at weirdtable.org
Fri May 19 10:14:10 PDT 2006

I do believe that there is a line that callers should not cross in
"meddling" with the social dynamic. I have a hard time with identifying
booking ahead "good" or "bad". It's like ice cream. It's great and
tastes good (because you get to dance with your friends and favorite
dance partners), but if you take too much of it, you get stomach aches,
fat and heart disease.

What works for me is a rule (occasionally broken) that I will not book
further ahead than the next dance. I make sure that I dance with 1-3 new
people (people I have never dance with before, not necessarily new
dancers) during the evening. I do try to seek out new dancers for those
dances, but I don't want to exclude visitors from that group, either.
When people ask me to book a dance further ahead, I just reply "Sorry, I
don't book anything more than the next dance."

I used to book up my evening, and hurt people's feelings when I double
booked or forgot. I also realized that I wasn't dancing with anyone new,
just the same people. And usually in the center set all night. Talking
to other dancers, listening to callers, eventually the message got
through about being welcoming. That and the negative experiences with
booking ahead convinced me to change. I think that it's something that
we all learn about and deal with. It's a part of that transition from
"intermediate" or "sophomore" dancer to "community" dancer that people
have talked about before.

You can take it to the other extreme, though. If no one books, people
get frustrated that they weren't able to dance with their favorite
partners, and the the dance isn't as fun as it used to be. The key, just
like everything else in life, is balance. That is what we can encourage
from the mic. and that is what we can role model from the floor.

Chris