[Callers] Re: Dance organization?

The Witful Turnip wturnip at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 5 19:18:03 PDT 2004

Hi all,
Regarding Seth's question about dance collection organization, here's my
method. I guess on a grand scale, I organize my dances into mixers,
improper/proper dances, beckets, double progressions and triplets/triple
minors/other unusual formations.  Within those grand categories, I organize
dances by first figure, as I try not to have two dances in a row that start
with the same figure.  Within each first figure category, I roughly organize
them from easy to hard.  I have some double progression and mixer beckets,
but I file them under beckets.

One other thing I do, which I've found helpful, is to note on the back of
the card the date I called the dance.  I found that in the beginning, I was
calling the same dances over and over again for a while. Now  I try to
include dances I haven't called yet or called less frequently in my
programs.  I also write any teaching notes to myself on the back of the
card.
Hope that helps,
Bev
(p.s. I'm getting the digest version of the list.  I notice that when I
reply, I don't get a copy of the original post.  That's fine with me, as I
just copied the subject line into this email.  Hopefully, It's not a problem
for anyone else.)
The Witful Turnip              wturnip at sympatico.ca
"If you're gonna eat shit, don't nibble."
       - said by Tom Hinds re: calling square dances